Warning: array_reduce() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/app/lib/ca/Attributes/Values/LengthAttributeValue.php on line 189
Knowlton School Digital LibraryWorkUpham Hall, The Ohio State University [64300]

Upham Hall, The Ohio State University

Related person
Skidmore, Owings and Merrill (SOM) (architect)
1951 (Receiving Hospital for Mental Patients);1959 (underground storage);1963 (additional building added);1964 (building transfer to The Ohio State University);1991 (demolished)
John H. J. Upham Hall was located at 473 W. 12th Avenue. It is known as Herrick Archives Building Number 112. Upham Hall, North Wing, was listed separately for a time as Building 113. Upham Hall was originally called the Receiving Hospital for Mental Patients, and was erected by the Ohio Department of public-access Welfare. Plans for the original building were prepared by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, and the building was operating by November 1951. A first addition was constructed in 1959 as underground storage for hazardous materials. A second addition, designed by Brown, Brubaker and Brandt under the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Correction, was completed in 1963. At that time, ownership of the building was transferred to The Ohio State University. Upham Hall was demolished in sections for the construction of Harding Hospital (Herrick Archives Building PH 165) in 1991 and Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute (Herrick Archives Building PH 113) in 1998.
1950s (1950 - 1959)
Reinforced concrete frames
Bricks (exterior)
149,013 ft ()