University Hall and First Power Plant, The Ohio State University

1874, first power plant constructed; 1896, first power plant demolished;University Hall: Plan approved: 1871; completed: 1874; Remodeled: 1896; demolished: 1971; First Power Plant: Constructed: 1874; demolished: 1896;1971
University Hall: University Hall is Herrick Archives Number 088. It is located at 216 North Oval Drive. An alternate name is "The College". Old post cards designate the building as "Administration Building" and "Town Hall, OSU, Columbus,Ohio". The type of construction is a wood frame with brick exterior. General contractors: Kanmacher and Stark of Columbus. Plans prepared by J. Snyder of Akron. First Power Plant: The Fisrt Power Plant is Herrick Archives Number H 101. Alternate names include the "Gas House" and "Gas Works". It is located, for indexing purposes only, at 232 West Seventeenth Avenue. It is of brick construction. Prior to the construction of the gas plant, all the gas used in laboratories was brought to the campus "in a six or eight foot rubber bag on the back of a student, a distance of three miles." General Contractor: Andrew Schwartz of Columbus. This image shows the north side of University Hall (center) with the First Power Plant (left) consisting of the original Boiler House and stack, Gas House and Gas Tank. The Veterinary Dissecting Building The Mechanical Engineering Building roof can be seen behind the power plant. On the right side of the image is the Electrical Engineering Building. Keywords: United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, The Ohio State University, OSU, institutional buildings, school buildings University Archives #X2228
19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE)