"The present church of San Siro was erected during the 4th century where an ancient graveyard stood and was dedicated to the twelve Apostles. The temple was named after San Siro, once Bishop of Genoa, only at the end of the 6th century. The church was turned into an Abbey in 1006 and given to Benedictine Monks who were ordered by the bishop to rebuild it with a Romanesque style.
It became the Bishop's seat, which depended upon Milan till 1133, when the Pope Innocent II founded the archdiocese of Genoa. The building was burned in the 15th century, during the civil unrests and in 1575 it was given to the Teatini Fathers who stayed in it till Napoleon's elimination of the first monasteries in 1798. The present aspect of the church is the product of the reconstruction which took place in the 17th century and some changes operated in the 19th century."
Keywords: Ceremonial and/or religious structures, views, church, nave. Submitted by Amanda Schlechty for INT STDS 697: Study Abroad: Italy Trip.
Ancient (ca. 3400 BCE - 395 CE) Romanesque (950 - 1200 CE) 17th Century (1600 - 1699 CE) 19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE)