Located east of central Wangfujing Street, the Catholic East Church, or Wangfujing Catholic Church, is one of the best-preserved religious sites in the heart of Beijing. The present building was rebuilt in 1904 on the ruins of the burned church. The East Church was originally called Saint Joseph's Church, and was built in the 12th year (1655) of Emperor Shunzhi during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). It was the second Catholic church built in Beijing after Italian preacher Matteo Ricci built the South Church in southern Beijing at the end of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). In the 1980s, large-scale repairs and maintenance were carried out by the government for East Church.
Occupying an area of 2,387 square metres, the church underwent its latest renovation in May of this year. Beside the church is a front square of 1.2 hectares.(http://www.china.org.cn/english/travel/118186.htm)
Keywords: China, Beijing Shi, religious structures, New Baroque, St. Joseph, urns, containers, outdoor spaces, plant material. Submitted by Budiman Wiharja.
Qing Dynasty (1644 CE - 1912 CE)
coniferous shrubs herbaceous plants deciduous trees concrete masonry stone or earth