Warning: array_reduce() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/app/lib/ca/Attributes/Values/LengthAttributeValue.php on line 189 Knowlton School Digital LibraryWorkNovodevichy Convent, Moscow, Russia 
Founded in 1524 by Tsar Vasily III (1479-1533), the Novodevichy Monastyr was intended to serve not only as a religious institution but also as a fortress with walls and 12 battle towers. It was used by women of the Tsar's family and of the aristocracy. Members of the Tsar's family and entourage were also buried in its cemetery. In 2004, the Novodevichy complex was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
This image was taken in 1969 by John Schooley, FAIA, during an Urban America tour. Urban America tours allowed architects and planners to visit New Towns and meet professionals involved in their planning and continued development.
Keywords: Russian Federation, Rossiya, Moskva, Moscow, 'Moscow Baroque', New Maiden's Convent, ceremonial and religious structures, religious complexes. Submitted by John Schooley, FAIA.
16th Century (1500 - 1599 CE) 17th Century (1600 - 1699 CE) Baroque