1626 (founded);1635 (medicinal herb garden);1640 (opened to public);1993 (garden and surrounding entities, classified as a historical landmark in France)
The Jardin des Plantes was founded by Louis XIII and is the first botanical garden in Paris. It was originally founded as a medicinal garden and was also known as Jardin du Roi, or the King's Garden. The garden complex has many features, including: a Labyrinth, horticultural displays, Alpine garden, Orangerie, Mexican and Australian greenhouses, rose garden, lawns, and Menagerie (zoological park). The Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle (National Museum of Natural History), is also situated within the garden.