The Glyptotek is one of the major art and sculpture museums in Denmark, named after the Glyptotek in Munich. The initial Glyptotek was in Valby at Carl Jacobsen's private home in 1882. The present museum began in 1888 when brewer Carl Jacobsen (of the Carlberg brewery) and his wife gifted to the people of Denmark and Copenhagen their private collection of Danish and French art in exchange for a building to house it in. The site is just southeast of Tivoli, which was viewed by Jacobsen as plebeian and he preferred the town center. The building opened in 1897 and was designed by Vilhelm Dahlerup. It was expanded again by Carl Jacobsen in 1906 after another gift in 1899 despite financial problems for Jacobsen. Further renovations and expansions were done in 1996 and 2006.
19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE) Baroque Revival
Glyptotek Museum (2011, November 15). From the website http://www.glyptoteket.dk