Gendarmenmarkt square is a historic square in Berlin. Created at the end of the 17th century, most of the buildings were destroyed in World War II, but have since been restored to their former glory. In the center of the square is the Schauspielhaus built by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. The Schauspielhaus is flanked by two almost identical churches. The French church on the northern part of the square was originally built for Berlin's Hugenot community at the beginning of 18th century and was modelled after the destroyed Huguenot church in Charenton-Saint-Maurice, France. The German Church on the southern end of the square was built at almost the same time. In 1785 Karl von Gontard modified both cathedrals and built the domed towers.
The German Church was updated and reopened in 1996 as a Museum of German History.