Gendarmenmarkt square is a historic square in Berlin. Created at the end of the 17th century, most of the buildings were destroyed in World War II, but have since been restored to their former glory. In the center of the square is the Schauspielhaus built by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. The Schauspielhaus is flanked by two almost identical churches. The French church on the northern part of the square was originally built for Berlin's Hugenot community at the beginning of 18th century and was modelled after the destroyed Huguenot church in Charenton-Saint-Maurice, France. In 1785 Karl von Gontard modified the cathedral and built the domed tower. There is a small Hugenot museum in the base of the tower.