The Faculty of Information Sciences was built for the University of Sanitago de Compostela.
"The volume consists of three storeys: ground floor and two levels in the western half of its cross-section, while the other half contains basement, ground floor and another level. The roof slope adapts to the local topography and the program conditions. The nine classrooms and lecturers' offices are set in the tallest zone on the top floor. The lecture rooms have an amphitheater design, with ramp, stair, and lift access. The radio and visual studios are set on the level with the lowest height, along with the audio-visual laboratories. All areas are arranged along a north-facing gallery, with the main atrium between the above-mentioned sectors: classrooms and audiovisuals. The gallery also facilitates access to three perpendicular volumes which form two courtyards opening onto Rue Catelao. The volume set at the western end of the gallery houses an auditorium with a capacity for 300. The audiovisuals zone is completed with the two remaining volumes on the eastern edge, used as cinema and television studios. The library, entered from the atrium duplex, has a central location. Its volume defines the broad entrance portico. The stairs, lifts and sanitary facilities are laid along the distribution gallery."
-- Levene, R. C., and Ceilia, F.M. (Eds.). (2000). Alvaro Siza, 1958-2000. Madrid: El Croquis Editorial. p. 410
Keywords: Spain, A Coruna, Galicia, University of Santiago de Compostela, institutional buildings, school buildings, reinforced concrete structure. Submitted by Timothy Crowther, recipient of the 2005 Whitaker Travelling Fellowship.