Since the 13th century this tower, the so-called "Welsche Turm" has dominated the north-eastern corner of the city's defence installations. It formed part of the city wall and secured the northern end of the Elbe river fortifications. It was near the tower that imperial troops under Tilly broke through the walls, invaded the city and brought complete destruction upon Magdeburg in 1631. Since the beginning of the last century it is known as the Lukasklause, a name given to the tower by the "St. Lucas" art society which took over the building in 1900 and carried out architectural changes.
Today it hosts the Otto von Guericke Museum dedicated to the life and work of the famous scientist and Lord Mayor of Magdeburg. (information from http://12hundert.magdeburg.de/english/)
Keywords: Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg (national district), Magdeburg, Magdeburger, exhibitions and exhibition structures, exhibition buildings, museums, fortifications, city walls. Submitted by Hazel Morrow-Jones.