Die Johanniskirche

  • Caption
    View of Exterior Door
Related person
Heinrich Apel (artist)
941 (earliest known date);1131 (new basilica erected);1453 (Gothic annex added)
Europe->Germany->Saxony-Anhalt (state)->Magdeburg
Johanniskirche (St. John's Church) is Magdeburg's oldest parish church. Official documents give testimony to the fact that a church stood there in 941. In 1131, a three-nave and cross-shaped basilica was erected in Romanesque style on the church site and in the course of the 13th century two Romanesque towers were added to the building. The late Gothic annex dates back to 1453.
The history of the church was marked by many changes. St. John's fell victim to many city fires and was destroyed by war. The ruin was left as it was to recall the terror of the war. However, on January 16, 1991 a committee was created to promote the restoration of the church. In 1999 the building was roofed again. Today St. John's Church is open to the public and has become a popular venue for a wide variety of unusual events - http://12hundert.magdeburg.de/english/
The church is remarkable with the west entrance portal with bronze door created by Heinrich Apel in 1983 for remembering at the destruction (as in this image). Before that he also created two sculptures in front of the church door: Trümmerfrau (Ruins Woman) and Mutter mit Kind (Mother with Child).
Keywords: Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg (national district), Magdeburg, Magdeburger, sculpture, reliefs, ceremonial and/or religious structures, doors. Submitted by Hazel Morrow-Jones.
1980s (1980 - 1989)
Medieval (c. 300 CE - 1399 CE)