This is a structure that started as two separate buildings on The Ohio State University campus, each of which was later expanded. The two buildings were later combined, and one of them was reduced in size.
The entire structure was also known as the Power Plant, Power Plant No. 2, Old Power Plant, Service Building, and occasionally "Rinso Hall" due to its use at one time as a laundry facility.
The northern part of the building was also known as Boiler House No. 2, Boiler House, Steam Plant, Garage, Bus Garage, and Power Plant.
The southern part of the building was also known as Engine House, Engine and Generator House, Power House, Power House No. 2, Laundry, and Heating House.
Northeast portion (original boiler house): designed by Packard & Yost, built by Lewis C. Newson, completed 1892.
Northwest portion (boiler house addition) and southwest portion (original engine house): designed by Packard & Yost, built by F.M. Fornof, completed 1896. The coal-conveying machinery was from the Jeffery Manufacturing Company. The reservoir was built by Joseph Braun.
Southeast portion (engine house addition): designed by William C. McCracken and built by George A. Abernathy, completed ca. 1910.
Center (connecting link): designed by Howard Dwight Smith and built by De Hayes, completed ca. 1938.
Keywords: United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, The Ohio State University, OSU, The School of Architecture, Herrick Archives building number 017, institutional buildings, school buildings, industrial structures. University Archives Image # X7178.