North and Central America->United States->Florida->Miami-Dade County->Miami
The idea for a large waterfront park began to be discussed by Miami's civic leaders in the early 1920s. In 1922, the city acquired a long strip of waterfront. The park design by Warren H. Manning proposed a massive park with little built environment: a yacht basin in the northeast corner and a band shell in the southern portion. The city approved the plan and the park was officially opened to the public in 1925.
In 1980, the city approved Isamu Noguchi's plan for the redesign of Bayfront Park. Noguchi envisioned the park as a "village green". His plan was implemented in 1981, and the new park was completed by the end of the 1980s. It is now named Mildred and Claude Pepper Bayfront Park.