The Alte Nationalgalerie building was erected on Museum Island between 1866 and 1876 by Heinrich Strack according to designs by Friedrich August Stüler. The Alte Nationalgalerie was badly damaged during the Second World War and partially reopened in 1949. By 1955 all the exhibition halls had been reopened to the public. The museum was closed for major renovation work from 1998 until 2001. In December 2001 it was succesfully reopened. The Alte Nationalgalerie (Old National Gallery) owns one of the largest collections of 19th century sculptures and paintings in Germany.
Keywords: Berlin, Germany, exhibitions and exhibition structures, exhibition buildings, Old National Gallery, 19th century art, views. Submitted by Sandhya Kochar.